Information : Course: Salad, Cuisine: American, Servings : 4 -6 servings, Calories: 299 kcal
- 8 ounces romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup whole black olives
- 2 large roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 of 1 large red onion, very thinly sliced
- 6 whole pepperoncini peppers
- 1 cup garlic-herb flavored croutons (store-bought or homemade)
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons good quality full fat mayo
- SALAD: Coarsely cut up the lettuce and wash and throughly dry (I love a salad spinner for this step!) Place lettuce in a large bowl. Top the salad with black olives, thinly sliced tomatoes, very thinly sliced red onion, and pepperoncini.
- DRESSING: In a large mason jar add all the dressing ingredients: 1/3 cup red wine vinegar, 1 and 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon white sugar, 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons mayo, and salt & pepper to taste (I add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper). Put on the lid and shake to combine. It might take a minute of good vigorous shaking, but the mayo should completely integrate (keep shaking until it does!) If you have time, make this ahead and chill in the fridge (intensifies flavors). Shake again right before adding.
- ASSEMBLY: Right before eating (Note 1) toss the salad with the dressing (you probably won’t use all the dressing, use what you’d like — Note 2). Add the croutons and freshly grated Parmesan cheese right on top and enjoy immediately.
- Note 1: Only add dressing, cheese, and croutons to the amount of salad that will be eaten the same day you make it. The lettuce/veggies/croutons don’t sit well with the dressing, the croutons will get soggy.
- Note 2: there is a lot of dressing! You can halve it if you’d like, but I like to make this full batch and use it on other recipes throughout the week. It will last 5-7 days stored in an airtight container in the fridge.