Homemade vegan naan is better than any store-bought flatbread, a soft pliable bread is irresistible with dips, curries, soups, and more. Here the recipe.
Information : Prep Time: 20 minutes, Cook Time: 15 minutes, Rise Time: 45 minutes, Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes, Serving for : 8 naan
- 3 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar, or granulated sugar
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast, or 1 packet
- 1/3 cup plain unsweetened non-dairy yogurt
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Optional mix-in: handful of fresh chopped parsley or 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- In a large bowl mix together the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Set aside for 5-10 minutes and allow the yeast to activate and become “foamy”.
- Once the yeast is activated mix in the yogurt, oil, salt, garlic, and parsley if using.
- Mix in 2 and 1/2 cups of flour until well combined.
- Using the last cup of flour dust your work area. Turn the dough out onto the floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes. Dust the dough and your hands with more flour as needed. Knead until the dough is slightly sticky but smooth and holds a ball shape. Tip: I never use the entire last cup.
- Brush the bowl and dough ball with oil. Cover and let the dough rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Turn the risen dough out onto a floured surface and divide into 8 equal portions.
- Roll a portion of dough into an oval about 1/4-inch thick.
- Place the dough in a hot dry (no added oil) skillet and cook until bubbles begin to form on top. Flip and cook on the other side until the bubbles are browned/blackened (depending on your preference). Repeat until all the dough is cooked.
- Optional:Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with fresh parsley and coarse sea salt.