For the Crust:
- 2 ½ cups gluten free baking flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cold and cut into chunks
- 6 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons fat free milk
For the Filling:
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- ¾ cup sugar free strawberry preserves
For the Icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
To Make the Crust:
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and butter in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the dough forms a coarse meal. Add the cold water and pulse until the dough starts to come together.
- Remove the dough from the food processor and form the dough into two discs. Wrap each disc in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow to rest for around 10 minutes. Flour a clean work surface and roll the dough until 1/8th inch thick. Using a round cookie cutter, cut out 32 circles of dough.
To Make the Filling:
- Combine cornstarch and water in a saucepan and stir to mix. Add the strawberry preserves.
- Cook over medium heat, until it starts to simmer. Reduce heat and simmer for two minutes, whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
To Make the Poptarts:
- Place 16 dough circles on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Spoon a tablespoon of filling onto each dough circle.
- Use a toothpick to poke vent holes in the remaining dough circles and place each circle on top of the filling. Press a fork around the edge of each Poptart to seal.
- Whisk together the egg and milk and brush the mixture on top of each Poptart.
- Place the Poptarts in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake the chilled Poptarts for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Remove the Poptarts from the baking sheet to cool on a wire rack before serving.
Make the Icing:
- Combine powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Whisk until a smooth glaze forms.
- Drizzle the glaze over the top of each cooled Poptart. Top with sprinkles if desired.