Information : Course: Appetizer, Main Course, Cuisine: American, Chinese, Prep Time: 12 minutes, Cook Time: 6 minutes, Total Time: 18 minutes, Servings: 6 people, Calories: 250kcal, Author: Rachel Ballard (https://feastandfarm.com/homemade-egg-rolls/)
- 10 ounces shredded cabbage 3-4 loosely packed cups, a bag of pre-shredded cole slaw mix works here
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup finely diced green onions without the whites
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 clove fresh garlic
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 in package wonton wrappers found the produce department
- oil for frying
- Finely grate the ginger and garlic on a box grater. If you don’t have a box grater, just chop it as finely as you can.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and cook the ground pork until no pink remains, breaking any large chunks.Season with half the salt and a dash of pepper. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add another tablespoon of oil and heat over medium high.
- Add in the ginger and garlic. Cook 30 seconds then add the cabbage, carrots, and onions and toss well.
- Add the remaining salt and dash of pepper.
- Saute 5-7 minutes just until the vegetables soften slightly. Add the pork back in.
- Add the soy sauce and water mixture, tossing well.
- Cook until the liquid evaporates, just a minute or two more.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Once the filling is cool enough to handle, start forming your egg rolls.
- Using one wonton wrapper at a time, lay it in front of you in a diamond shape with a point toward you. Add about 3 tablespoons of filling to the center and roll up the point closest to you. Tuck in the sides as you continue to roll to the other point.
- Seal the open edge by rubbing water on the inside of the seam with your fingers.
- Bring 3 inches of oil to 375 degrees in a medium pot. Cook the egg rolls a few at a time, turning frequently until evenly golden–about 6-7 minutes each.
- Drain on paper towels. Serve hot with sweet and sour sauce, spicy mustard, or Duck sauce.
- Makes 14-16 egg rolls